August 12, 2009

Entry 8

Today we started testing. One big push for the school as a whole was having 100% attendance. Our class did have 100% attendance. Other classes and grades didn't. Volunteers went out door-to-door to get students. Other staff called homes to find out where students were and to try to get them to school. The reason for going door-to-door (one reason) is a lot of our families don't have phones.

It took a lot to get the students settled to start the exam. Tension was high, but we got started.

I was assigned as a reader to a student identified as being allowed extra help. I had specific instructions to read verbatim all questions, but not to provide any assistance with answers. This student is a young black male. He is very sweet, healthy and cute. His clothing is filthy. His white shirt is probably two or four sizes too large for him. He rolls the sleeves up two or three times. He wears this shirt days is a row. It's not just stained, it's dirty all over. I let Sister know of my concern. She will check and look into getting him a new shirt.

The student I helped did the best he could on his test. I know he did miss (get wrong) many, many questions. I know with a little help, he would have done much better. His score will not reflect his intelligence in my opinion.

2 comments:

prayerfuljourney said...

I have started a search for some Catholic women who have accepted God's will and do not have children...not because we don't want them but for various reasons...it's not happening. I believe my reasons are God's reasons. It's a tough journey but my dh and I believe and trust God has a bigger plan for us which does not include parenthood. I do blog with other Catholic women who have IF but most are still trying every means possilbe...that is Catholic...to conceive. We all pray for each other and pretty much understand what we are all going through. I just feel God is speaking to my heart. Us Catholic women who have been through IF treatments are unlike others in the fact that we are not seeking any kind of third party means to conception (IUI or IVF). The RE that recently did my surgery does all of that. The subject comes up at times and I dismiss it. I'm just at a point where I'm thankful that I'm feeling better and I do have another focus, teaching. I'm in grad school and have a year and a half to go until I'm certified. I know God wants this for me. Anyway...I came across your blog and found it comforting that I am not the only "out there" whose Catholic and accepting God's will for our families. My dh and I are on an adoption waiting list but that's been so disappointing for us too. Oh well...like I said..on our journey to accepting and doing God's will. I hope you'll read my blog. Many blessings.

prayerfuljourney said...

Hi...thanks for responding on my blog....I just wanted to let you know that I have responded to your email. Thank you so much for your encouraging words!