May 9, 2009

Entry 1

My teacher suggested three possible internships to me today. I was most interested in the Family and Community Resource Center. This internship was the one I had my eye on when I first started this class. It's an internship with an inner-city school where ironically, the Catholic Church has a role. I placed a call to Sister Mary.

I was scheduled to come in on Feb. 4th. It was a snow day and we started two hours late. I knew the neighborhood this school was in was a known drug area. Ironically it's located near a world renowned hospital, but a few blocks away ... poverty.

Sister Mary introduced me to the program and filled out my fieldwork learning objectives. She shared a PowerPoint presentation with me and gave me a tour of the school. This school is a "full-service community school". A motto I saw often was "To succeed in school, children need a healthy family". Sister Mary works to meet this goal. She is involved with the students and their entire family.

I'll be working with a 5th grade teacher.

No comments: