May 9, 2009

Inner-city School internship

I've wanted to write about an internship I did a few years back. I spent a semester at an inner-city public elementary school. I learned more at this internship about life and poverty than I ever have personally experienced. The saddest part for me; this was just one school. One small school. There are a 100 of these schools in our city and 1000's across the country where daily life is a struggle.

I believe "white-bread" America needs to spend some time in these schools. It would explain to them what is really happening in our country. Why our cities are the way there are. Why kids don't graduate from high school. Why drugs are an alternative. Why gangs are an alternative. Anything is an alternative if you life is daily chaos.

The names will be changed in my writing. I'm pulling this from a journal I kept while I was there.

No comments: