May 11, 2009

Entry 3

Today when I got to school, I went straight to my classroom. The students were working on math.

I was able to go to Sister Mary's office during a break. I sorted socks and underwear for her.

School ended early today due to the teachers voting on the budget cuts. This allowed me the time to eat with my students for lunch. The kids were happy to have me sit with them and eat the same meal they were. I learned from a previous placement, eating with your internship subjects really helps put you on their level. It's a way of letting them know you consider yourself really "with" them and on equal terms.

One boy took this opportunity to tell me that no one in his class likes him, because they all think he is gay. I let Sister Mary know and she'll be getting in touch with the social worker at the school.

No comments: